Is it possible to install Windows 10 on MacBook? The answer is, yes. You can run macOS and switch it to Windows anytime you want. Apple has provided the Mac computer with a utility that can help you install Windows and switch between these two OSs. In this article, we are going to show you how to install Windows 10 on MacBook.
Before You Start
Installing Windows 10 on MacBook isn’t that complicated. But it will be better to back up your data just in case something unwanted happens in the middle of the process.
You will need the Internet connection to download Windows 10 disk image (ISO file). So, make sure you have a dedicated Internet network, connected to your Mac.
In order to install Windows 10 on MacBook, you must have enough disk space. You will need at least 64GB of storage or 128GB would be better. To check how much data storage is available on your MacBook, click the Apple logo > About This Mac > Storage.
Check System Requirements
Installing something without checking its requirements can give you problems. To install Windows 10, your computer must have at least 1 GHz of processor and 1 GB of RAM for 32-bit or 2 GB for 64-bit. Here is the list of MacBook models that are compatible with Windows 10:
- MacBook Pro (2012 and later)
- MacBook Air (2012 and later)
- MacBook (2015 and later)
How To Install Windows 10 On MacBook
Download Windows Disk Image
You can download Windows 10 by typing “Windows 10 disk image (ISO file)” on your browser, and choose the one that comes from Microsoft official site. The other option – you can click this link and it will direct you to Microsoft Software Download page. Now, follow these steps:
- Once you are on the page, click the “Select Edition” box and choose the edition you want. Then, click Confirm.
- On the next page, choose your language and click Confirm.
- Select 32-bit Download or 64-bit. Wait until the downloading process is completed.
- The Windows 10 Disk Image (ISO file) will be stored in the Download folder of your MacBook.
Launch Boot Camp Assistant
Boot Camp Assistant is a utility that comes with your MacBook. It will help you to install Windows 10 on MacBook. You can find it in the Utilities folder. To go there, the first, open Folder > Applications > Utilities. Here, find Boot Camp Assistant and click on it. Here are the steps to follow:
- Once the Boot Camp Assistant opens, click Continue.
- The new page will open and you will see the Windows 10 ISO file there. Otherwise, you click the Choose button next to the ISO Image box and go to the Download folder. Choose the file and click Open.
- Now, drag the partition between macOS and Windows to format the size of Windows 10. Adjust it according to your needs. When you are ready, click the Install/Format button on the bottom-right corner.
- After the installation process is done, your MacBook will reboot into Windows 10 setup.
Install And Set Up Windows 10
All you need to do next is following the on-screen prompts.
- The first popup screen will ask you to choose the language.
- On the second page, you will be asked about a product key. If you don’t have one, click “I don’t have a product key”.
- Choose Windows 10 Pro or Windows Home, and click the Next button below.
- Select Drive 0 Partition X and click Next.
- Choose Express Settings or Customize Your Installation.
- Type username and password to create an account and click Next.
- If you don’t want to use Cortana personal assistant, click Not Now.
- On the “Welcome To The Boot Camp Installer” screen, click Next.
- Read and tick the accept box in the License Agreement screen, then click Install.